Monday, September 10, 2012

Homemade, Skillet Beef Stroganoff

Homemade Beef Stroganoff

I originally pinned this recipe for crock pot beef stroganoff, but I immediately noticed 2 things:
1. I would need to cut down on the measurements (I'm cooking for two), and
2. my schedule does not permit for the slow cooker or crock pot.

I decided to try my own version, using Heather's Bytes' recipe as my basis. The results? Rich, creamy, better-than-the-box beef stroganoff.

Get started with:

1 lb hamburger meat, seasoned, browned, and drained
1 can Golden Mushroom Soup - do not substitute!
1/2 can beef broth
4oz (1/2 bag) of No Yolks Egg White Dumplings noodles
4oz (1/2 block) cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream

3 quart pot
skillet
small bowl

Keep browned meat on medium-low heat, and add noodles to boiling, salted water.

Homemade Beef Stroganoff - Hamburger Meat

Homemade Beef Stroganoff - No Yolks Noodles


While noodles boil, add can of golden mushroom soup to the skillet and stir.

Homemade Beef Stroganoff - Golden Mushroom Soup

Next, add 1/2 a can of beef broth.

Homemade Beef Stroganoff - Beef Broth













Stir meat mixture until gravy forms around hamburger meat.

Homemade Beef Stroganoff - Gravy Mix













Once noodles are cooked to package specifications, drain and add them to the skillet.

Homemade Beef Stroganoff - Adding Noodles













Mix noodles in gravy until covered, and let skillet stand on low heat.

Homemade Beef Stroganoff - Gravy and Noodles













In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sour cream with 4oz cream cheese. Mix well.

Homemade Beef Stroganoff - Sour Cream and Cream Cheese













Add dairy mixture to skillet, and stir until mixed well. You may choose to use it as a topping instead, but I wanted the sour cream and cream cheese mixed in.

Homemade Beef Stroganoff













The results are delicious! It has the familiar flavor of beef stroganoff, but it is much creamier and richer than any Hamburger Helper I've ever had.

Try it for yourself, double the recipe for your family, and let me know how it turns out!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great recipe. I only had sour cream, and we love sour cream so I substituted and it was still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recipe. I only had sour cream, and we love sour cream so I substituted and it was still delicious.

    ReplyDelete